Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Conversion Stories - An Observation


It has been the norm, in my previous life as a Protestant, of hearing frequent conversion stories of people being "saved" from other religions, especially from the grip of Roman Catholicism. Fiery, emotionally charged testimonies of how they have been a very very bad person before and one day God dealt with them, then their lives changed dramatically and now look at how perfect their lives are. From all these conversion stories to Protestantism, I never heard any deeper theological reason other than the alleged "Mary and Saints Worship" issue (which is hardly one, had they just give themselves a chance to know the Catholic position) that made them move out of Catholicism.

On the other hand, never in my life have I known someone who willfully chose to convert to Catholicism. Before, I find the thought of converting to Catholicism so absurd and if ever, this might be the workings of the devil. I mean, who would really seriously consider Rome if you wanted to be saved, right? It's the Whore of Babylon and the religion that is basically pagan in disguise?

Lately have I discovered that a lot of high profile figures have been converts to Catholicism like Scott Hahn, Peter Kreeft, etc. And these people are not ignorant of the Reformed Theology they were upholding before they got converted. And a lot of them have different turning points as to why they finally converted to Catholicism.

My point is, comparing Protestant converts versus Catholic converts, Catholic converts convert mainly due to theological reasons, while most Protestant converts from Catholicism doesn't know much Catholic theology before they converted to Protestantism.

Even Norman Geisler, a famous Protestant apologist conceded the fact that Catholic converts, even though he mentioned as "egg-heads", are the more intellectual ones.

“So, while we are losing a few intellectual egg-heads out the top of evangelicalism to Rome, we are gaining tens of thousands of converts out the bottom from Catholicism. The trade-off highly favors evangelicalism. So, invite a Catholic to your Bible study or church. There is a good possibility that they will get saved!”

So, please, to all the people who are questioning the reason why I converted, it's because of theological reasons and spiritual reasons, not because I had a very dramatic tear-jerking conversion experience, or I wanted to defy someone, or prove someone wrong, or anything else. Protestantism meant something to me, but I found it to be wanting of a lot of proving, reasoning and there are a lot of missing items in between. I am convinced that Christ has established a Church, a visible Church, one in Faith and in doctrine.

Call me an egg-head, or know-it-all, I won't give an ass. At least, before I converted, I studied, researched and prayed for it. There is no such thing as knowing too much in Catholicism. There are always new aspects to explore and know.

3 comments:

bsa07 said...

A very nice blog, Brod.

Welcome home!

From:
Nelson C. Vidal, Jr.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002975359989&sk=wall

Sev said...

thanks Nelson!

Gino said...

Wonderful, Manong Sev :)